Thursday, May 16, 2013

Try not to care so much...

Day 2035: In the uphill battling of trying to conceive that my poor husband and I have been enduring for the last months of no success, I have to say, nothing frustrates me more than when people say “It will happen when you stop trying,” or “Try not to care so much…” Can you see me staring with horror, jaw dropped to the ground? 

I expected that baby making would be fun and easy. Why wouldn’t it be? Our parent’s never had any trouble. And, yes, while I will admit that the actual baby dancing action is fun, everything else that comes with it is not. People give opinions on if you are trying to soon or not soon enough, if you are trying too hard or not hard enough among the onslaught of the two week waits and visits from Aunt Flow. But my question remains, how do you care less, try less, or think less about it? If only I knew, my gosh, this would be so much easier.

And to make things worse, Pinterest and Facebook are crawling with pictures and ideas for the beautiful spawn of the world. Photo sessions with teeny flower headbands, tiny classy suits, my imagination has an endless stream of hopes and dreams for something that doesn’t even exist. And my gosh! Don’t even get me started on all the shopping! 

It seems that since we have walked the aisle of marriage every banner advertisement I’ve seen has something that I can’t help but picture using on or with our child. And the saver in me wants to start stocking up when I see a good deal, or even WORSE, when that beautiful convertible nursery set that I have been eyeing for months, each time hoping that this will be it, this will be the month that I need a place for our beautiful baby to sleep and grow, goes on sale, I feel like I cry a little inside. Because I can’t buy it now, knowing that I will have to look at it every day, reminding myself what we don’t have, but want so desperately bad.

I wish I could care less sometimes. It would make it easier as each month passes unsuccessfully, brought up with the tears and sadness that dashes away any hope that this time will be our chance. But we have been waiting our whole lives for this, and I have to remember that in the end, all the tears and chocolate donuts will be worth. And we probably won’t be able to care less, try less, or think about it less, just like you wouldn’t expect a child to care less and think less and just sleep the night before Christmas. And I can bet, that once our time does come, once we get to witness those two beautiful pink lines, all the waiting won’t matter anymore.