Wednesday, May 8, 2013

I broke my mason-jar cup...

Day 2027: Today I broke my Mason-Jar Cup that I got at a co-worker’s birthday party. I cried for half-an-hour. Now I realized this is very strange, and no, I am not pregnant or PMSing (I don’t think). This cup was my everyday reminder of Pensacola, Florida. And my life at the time.

To the everyday person, Pensacola may not seem like something to cry about, but for me it brought many tears, both happy and sad. Pensacola was the first time that I lived more than 30 miles away from my parents, and that in itself says a lot. I went to college just a few cities away from my hometown. It was during this time that I met and dated my husband. When he relocated to Pensacola, I followed when I could. I packed everything I owned in a tiny U-Haul that pulled my car behind it. The morning of my departure I sobbed uncontrollably as we drove away from my mother (I was lucky enough that my Dad volunteered to drive me down). Pensacola-sad tears, one. Pensacola-happy tears, zero. The same thing happened when I left my Dad at the airport to fly home.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I was so happy to finally be with my Darling Dear again, and while I had moved out of my parent’s house five years before, nothing quite hits you like the knowledge that you can’t just hop in a car and drive the 35 minute trip, when you need them. I was now more than 3,000 miles away. How’s that for having to put on the big girl pants!

For me, this was huge! I had never planned on moving out of state. Never! I loved hanging out with my parents so much that, on any given Friday night, that’s where I could be found, until Monday morning rolled around (And, yes, we all considered this moved out! I had my own apartment and everything!) Pensacola was proof that I could be an adult without them, and while I missed them every day, I knew I could hack it on my own (Sort of! My Husband was there, too.) As a young woman, entering into the military life, this was one of the greatest test, second only to distance from my husband (which we had experienced already as well).

In addition to the “coming of age away from my parents” thing, Pensacola was also the place that I had my first “grown-up” job. One month fresh from college and plastered by rumors of brand new graduates failing to find work, I was selected for a position in Sales and Marketing! This job entailed the coveted all-expense paid training in good ole’ Tallahassee and many long hours of hard work every day. If this wasn’t being a grown-up, I’m not sure what is! I finally had co-workers that were working for families and “real-life”, rather than just getting by in school, and I loved them! And then, we end up back at the cup. The cup that I got from a co-worker friend’s birthday party. My first grown-up, co-worker, real-life event. And now it’s broken. 

And in my mind, I know this is a stupid thing to be sad about, but it was my daily, visual reminder that I’m a big girl, in the real world, and I can do it!