Friday, May 3, 2013

To those raising the parents of the future...

Day 2022: As I wait in the parking lot to pick up the girl that I nanny, the last school bell rings. I dodge the speedy minivans racing off to the umpteenth activity their children have schedule for the day and I wonder to myself if this will be our life in ten years. Carpool, dance, hockey, play-dates! All I’ve got to do now is get myself a baby! Which is much harder than it looks, although, who am I to complain about it. This is just the easy part, right?

When I think back on my many nanny adventures, the long nights with a sick kid or taking two kids to two activates that start at the same time all by myself, I can’t express the amount of respect and admiration I have for the parents out there. For the people who are there unconditionally, rain or shine, to entertain, drive, work, love their children. And unlike myself, they can’t give them back! The selflessness that every parent has is not measureable, and I hope that one day, we can be those kinds of parents. 

Even more than that, are the military spouses who have to learn how to function as a single parent for some of the time and a parental team for the rest of the time. And I imagine that single parenting is hard enough without having to worry about the safety of your spouse! So here is to all the parents out there! Single or not, military or not! Though Mother’s day is just about a week away and Father’s day about a month, I think it’s never too soon to shout out to those raising the parents of the future!